3.31.2009

Exhibit 17.17

The Way Through Doors

I'm not going to even try to review this since I'm in no way an impartial reader of the book. Jesse Ball's fantastic Samedi the Deafness is why we asked him to write the first volume of The Cupboard, and he not only agreed to let two guys he didn't know publish his work, he gave us something really great. So even if he wasn't such a great writer, I'd pretend he was because he's such a nice guy.

But he is a great writer and a nice guy and he's written the book you wish you were reading right now.

Here's how good this book is. Brett ate the cover:


She hasn't done this since she was a puppy, and that was cookbook so you can imagine what magic these pages must contain.

But this isn't about my untrained dog slowly enacting her own form of entropy on the world, this is about you buying Jesse Ball's nesting doll of a novel. If you need a context, think At Swim-Two-Birds, Cloud Atlas, and If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - three books that I love and that, as far as I can tell, everyone who reads them loves.

Doors is similarly a book one falls into and easily the fourth leg of that table. But I can't review it, I can only tell you to pick it up and be happy.

Now.

1 comment:

Mathias Svalina said...

Reminds me of The Saragossa Manuscript in the way it collapses & collapses & then sort of emerges out of its own vortex rather than attempting to rebuild a structure.