9.12.2008

Exhibit 12.11

Every Thursday at five for the past few weeks I've gotten in my car only to be greeted by the song "Play That Funky Music, White Boy." As you might imagine, this confused me. I only have that song on my iPod, I thought the first (and every other) time.

Sadly, it took me a while to figure out it wasn't a coincidence but instead the opening of a funk and soul show on KRNU called, naturally, Play That Funky Music White Boys. It's hosted by two presumably white boys who go by Cotton Ball and Polar Bear. I have to say, as college radio shenanigans go, it's pretty top notch.

You should check it out next week. They play some good stuff.

I've also learned that the titular song is A) Extremely Long and B) Plot Driven. There's a protagonist, conflict, even a bit of an arc. Who knew?

My favorite part is toward the end when a background singer mumble sings something like, "keepa playin dat funk music." I always wait for that part before swerving into oncoming traffic.

No comments: