3.20.2008

Exhibit 7.27

This morning an obviously pregnant woman was waiting for the elevator as a man I didn't know and I walked toward her. The man, an upper-management type based on his overwhelming cologne, said hello to the woman. The woman had a very large cup of coffee when she turned to us and as we got on the elevator the three of us had this exchange:

Man: Is that decaf?
Woman: Nope, I get one to get me started.
Me:
Man: Well, be sure to enjoy it then.
Woman: Actually, it's usually about one or two of these and then a few Diet Cokes.
Me:
Man:
Woman: Just don't tell my doctor!

The elevator stopped and the woman got off. It was just me, the man, and his cologne.

Man: I thought caffeine was dangerous during the pregnancy.
Me:
Man: I'm sure I heard that. Huh.
Me:

Um, yeah, buddy. I think you did.

4 comments:

julee said...

Sounds like if you both noticed the pregnancy, she's past her 3rd or 4th month, which is the danger zone your link talks about.

A. Peterson said...

Yeah, she was fine. I'm definitely not saying she was a bad mother, and she was definitely past the point where it would matter (though she wasn't joking about how much caffeine she drank).

I just thought the man's complete bafflement over whether or not to be concerned about it was pretty funny. Had I said, you need to call social services he would have had a swat team of obstetricians there in five minutes.

Anonymous said...

Telling her to "be sure to enjoy" it seems a bit rude, since presumably she is a grown woman going to work in an office building and probably makes informed decisions. But - you know how I feel about citizen enforcers.

Anonymous said...

Was my cologne really that strong?