11.26.2007

Exhibit 5.4

I've been vaguely aware of the name 'Peterson' popping up a lot on news sites I read. I hadn't actually looked at any of the articles as I was pretty sure they weren't about my fantasy football exploits and I haven't really done anything else of note since high school debate. The articles all seemed to be about some Peterson's wife being murdered and I assumed it was a rehashing of the Laci Peterson thing. For the first time I clicked on one of the articles today and it turns out yet another Peterson has allegedly murdered his wife. For some reason, this has really captured the nation's attention again.

This time the guy--Drew Peterson (not to be confused with Scott Peterson)--possibly killed his 3rd and 4th wives, one of whom is named Stacy Peterson (not to be confused with Laci Peterson). You know who's worried right now? Mrs. Traci Peterson.

For those keeping track, the most famous Petersons of recent memory are:

Scott Peterson (murderer)
Drew Peterson (murderer)
Norm Peterson (fictional drunk)
Cassandra Peterson (Elvira)
Adrian Peterson (murderer of defenses)

Thank god the Petersons have Adrian, otherwise I might be changing my name to something with fewer negative connotations like Simpson or Dahmer or maybe Stalin.

UPDATE: Heather reminded me of Kelsey Peterson, the Nebraska teacher who recently ran away with her 13-year-old student. This was mostly a Nebraska case, but still, what the hell is wrong with the Petersons? And it's all people who spell it the right way, too. Now, people named Pederson or Petersen, those people have something to be upset about.

2 comments:

GA Hill said...

Uh, isn't the teacher your 3rd or 4th cousin or something?

A. Peterson said...

Good god, I hope not. Still, she is a Peterson from Nebraska so it wouldn't surprise me.

Funny, no one mentioned that at Thanksgiving.