11.20.2007

Exhibit 5.2

There's a car in my office's parking garage that looks exactly like mine. Same model, color, interior, etc. Whoever owns it even arrives at the same time I do as we often end up parking next to each other. I imagine other people saw our cars next to each other the first time and thought it was vaguely interesting or at least the sort of thing a perceptive person might note and say 'huh' about. Every other time those people see this happen they probably think how much they hate having to walk through a parking garage on their way to work and lament how bland, consumer anomalies like this shock them into confronting the passing of time because they've seen it again and again.

Anyway, I don't know how the other guy handles it, but it completely throws me off when we end up parking next to each other. I have to pause mid-step and look at our license plates to figure out which car is mine. Twice I have tried to open the wrong car door when I wasn't paying attention. Even after I'm driving home I sometimes have a moment where I panic and think that I'm actually in the other guy's car. He probably thinks I'm trying to steal it or maybe he just drives my car home and doesn't even notice because we listen to the same radio station. This, of course, is a crazy thing to think.

1 comment:

Mathias Svalina said...

His name is Padam Eaterson.