9.21.2007

Exhibit 3.5

Some of my favorite lines from Christian Hawkey's Citizen Of:

They have invented this machine to extract/glass from the lips of strangers/which is precisely what we are/although the fear of breathing/brings us within inches of each other’s face.

Who utters/the phrase transparent gutter/& stands back as a tube of rain/slides horizontally/across the sky/with nowhere to go but/clouds, one by one

O where/in these kingdoms red with the clay of sunsets/pasted onto our brows/& these wires threaded with copper/listening to our every desire as if it were a need/can I rest with my blue triangle and maybe, if the light is right,/place my heart inside it, a soft cloud.

It is spring. No one’s around./White dandelions/bloom the shape of a woman’s body./With a little wind, she moves—she migrates.

It was a gate./I was hungry for it to transform me,/moving through it, but it didn’t/it just opened, & so I sat down/within it, holding either side of it/&it didn’t seem to mind it.

3 comments:

Dusty said...

Is it a space-saving thing, not actually reprinting the lines as separate lines, but in that way that newspapers do with the slash?

A. Peterson said...

It's just that last time with the Anne Carson book some of the longer lines broke due to the page formatting. I figured this new method was the best way to accurately represent the line breaks.

For a guy who ostensibly writes about books, I would have thought you'd understand some of the procedures.

Dusty said...

Of course I understand, but, like what I would do is totally break those lines up. Note how I (a veteran, really, let's face it) am always sure to use [blockquote] tags when I quote from the text. For clarity. You could easily drop some [br]s in there, or even allow Blogger to format it for you.

There's also [pre] tags, but those turn into ugly fixed-width fonts and often f up frames and tables.