2.11.2008

Exhibit 7.2

I have a short story in the new issue of CutBank which you can learn all about here. It also features work by Tomaz Salamun, Matt Hart, Dennis McFadden, and many others. Plus, cool silhouette art by Andy Smetanka. I haven't had a chance to read it all yet, but so far it's fantastic.

My story is titled "The Department of Calamitous Events" and is notable for being my only story inspired by Heather's car. See, her car has a very idiosyncratic way of automatically locking the doors when you least expect, and I like to imagine what scenarios the engineers foresaw where this would be a safety feature rather than a confusing and threatening inconvenience. Of course, it is a VW and it's possible the random locking and unlocking of doors is the number one crime prevention technique in Germany. This is probably what fahrvergnügen means.

After that thrilling description of its origins, I can't imagine anyone will ever read that story. I'm okay with that as long as you read the rest of the issue.

No comments: