12.07.2007

Exhibit 5.10

Fantasy football recap.

The Lincoln Hawks (7-6, fifth place)

Due to poor managerial skills, I've lost quite a few close games with this team and now need another team to lose (while I win) in order to back into the playoffs where I will be promptly crushed. I now understand why managers in all sports continue to run the same players out there over and over expecting a different result. Sooner or later, Steve Smith has to have a good game, right? Um, right?

Well, not right apparently. I think this season effectively answered the question of whether or not I should be put in charge of a major sports team. Given the opportunity, I would totally give Jason LaRue 150 at bats or leave Pedro Martinez in the game another inning or keep Ricky Thenarse on the bench or trade for AJ Feeley. I play favorites and hunches worse than anyone with my fantasy football team. That's probably why I have yet to accept Steve Smith as a disaster. I mean, he's Steve Smith.

Anyway, I've got a good feeling about him this week. Plus, I just don't like that Ronald Curry.

This week's quote from team namesake and Swift Transportation CEO Lincoln Hawk(s): "The world meets no one halfway."

If Mandy Patinkin Was a Fantasy Football Team (8-5, first place)

This team also went a little south since Randy Moss became human again, but it was still enough to capture first place heading into this week's opening playoff round. I feel okay about my chances right up until the moment I remember Eli Manning is prominently involved. Tom Coughlin, the entire NY Giants team, and his dad all feel the same way. I would actually like to get a drink with those guys just so we could all commiserate together. Then Eli would probably walk in and we'd all have to pretend that we were talking about Dancing with the Stars. Eli would probably take up that conversation enthusiastically and disappoint us all over again.

This is how you think when you rely on Eli Manning.

My team actually peaked already, but, as with Interpol and the first season of Heroes, I'm just pretending it didn't peak too early. Ideally Frank Gore wouldn't have played like a guy who's had major operations on both of his knees and I could have spun him for a quarterback, but it's too late for that now. My lineup going into this week:

QB - Eli Manning. I hate even typing it, but who else do I go with? Schaub is hurt and the best pick up option is Sage Rosenfels (who, and this is not a joke, dresses up like a clown and does children's birthday parties in the offseason. How can I feel okay with him?)

RB - Jamal Lewis. That nice playoff schedule is finally paying off.

RB - Willis McGahee. Gets the start over Gore but only because Gore has been absolutely awful. In fact, I think Gore is friends with Steve Smith.

WR - Randy Moss. The magic is still there, isn't it, Randy? I feel like a child pleading with his now alcoholic father to come back home and make things like they used to be. In fact, I'd say that's pretty much exactly the situation here. Remember how nice Halloween was, Randy? Christmas could be like that, be like it used to be, when things were good.

WR - Reggie Wayne. I honestly think this season might kill Reggie Wayne. Toward the end of last week's Colts game poor Reggie was limping downfield with four guys draped over him and still making catches. The Colts are not winning anything unless Marvin Harrison comes back.

WR - Patrick Crayton. Getting the start because I can't trust that Santonio Holmes will play. He was solid for me last week, and I like anyone who sticks with the full 'Patrick' and doesn't eventually breakdown and let everyone call him 'Pat.' That shows he's got guts. Thinking--and sincerely believing--things like this is how my managerial career would go south.

TE - Antonio Gates. Last week's 1 catch for -1 yard performance didn't happen. You hear me? Didn't happen. (On a more serious note, the QB I wanted to trade for earlier this year was Philip Rivers. Thank god both my friend Justin and I are idiots otherwise that might have happened. If both teams could redo that 2004 NFL draft again, would they bother trading those stiffs for each other or would they just say pass and sign Sage Rosenfels to be QB/Birthday Clown?)

(Take another look at the top of that 2004 draft by the way. It went bad, bad, great but moody, tragedy, finally blooming after some horrific seasons but moody, legitimately good and not a cancer, a cancer who got in a fight with coach, horrible, horrible. In other words, I feel lucky the Dolphins didn't end up with a guy who is now in prison.)

K - Josh Brown. He's a kicker and, as far as I know, not a clown in the offseason.

Def - Minnesota Vikings. I love that I was able to pick these guys up as free agents two weeks ago after going with some truly horrible defenses all year. They're good.

That's it. That is everything I know about fantasy football.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Good luck to us today in Fantasy. Hopefully the playoffs will be composed of 50% Peterson.

A. Peterson said...

Which, based on previous posts, means 50% felon. They should be afraid. For a lot of reasons, they should be afraid.