9.20.2007

Exhibit 3.4

Ouch, Jon Bruning.

If you're Bruning, should you just drop out of the race and claim you were running against Hagel but feel Johanns represents your values? I'd certainly be tempted to rather than waste money and what little remaining goodwill I had for what is almost certain to be a losing effort. Bruning's road to the Senate would mean beating Johanns (and Hal Daub) in a primary and possibly facing (and besting) Bob Kerrey. That's just not happening. Bruning gambled that Hagel would run, and Bruning lost. It's probably best that he just waits his turn for the governorship (sigh). Or just moves somewhere else. In fact, I vote for that option.

Johanns vs. Kerrey, anyone?

Welcome to the national stage, Nebraska.

2 comments:

GA Hill said...

You know, I wouldn't be too worried about Bruning as you seem to be. He is not nearly as conservative as his "politician Bruning" hat would have you believe...

Plus he is a solid dude.

A. Peterson said...

Hey, thanks for posting GA.

Yeah, I've met him a few times, and I do think he's a nice guy which is what makes his pretending to be an ultra conservative, anti-immigration, pro-war candidate all the more sad.

I also know several people who've worked for Bruning who all speak very highly of him though they seem wary about how he's used the AG's office as more of a political platform than his predecessors.

My take: I think the real Jon Bruning is the kid who wrote those DN articles and everything since then is about getting him elected which concerns me because politicians like that are always the ones who end up at the extremes. It's unfortunate that he believes he has to be vehemently pro-war to win in Nebraska and that probably reflects poorly on our state as much as it does him.