If you witnessed my student conferences, you would hear me say the following things
approximately exactly 52 times:
1. The papers will be graded by Friday.
2. Remember when we talked about triangles?
3. Z.Z. Packer's essay was not the one about shooting an elephant.
4. This might be Mr. Ruder's office, at least if he's that guy who eats soup here all the time. Does he sometimes smell like soup?
5. [incomprehensibly hand gestures meant to demonstrate structure]
6. Literacy narratives can totally be about middle school basketball.
7. O, this is her office, too. Don't worry, she's not silently judging you.
8. I don't know, what do you think teaching assistant means?
9. The papers will be graded by Friday. Um, no, not this Friday.
10. Interesting, interesting, I like this idea, no, not that, stop talking, go back to what you said before, not that far back, look, just make something up.