12.09.2009

Exhibit 23.3

Destruction Myth by Mathias Svalina


I don't think there's another writer that I stole as much from when I was deciding what kind of writer I wanted to be. If Mathias weren't so nice, he probably would have punched me in the face by now. There's still time, honestly.

I remember how blown away I was when some of the "Creation Myth" pieces that make up the bulk of Destruction Myth started appearing on his blog (I did not steal his blog's tendency to be interesting though he recently appears to have borrowed my blog's commitment to dog photography). A combination of verse and prose, of birth and death, Destruction Myth is a book I have spent years waiting for and it does not disappoint. It is hilarious and smart and sad, and it is the 3rd amazing book of poetry to have come out this year from someone who was in Lincoln during my tenure there. Naca, Zach, Mathias. I was very, very lucky.

If you haven't ordered the book yet, watch Elisabeth's video interpretation of one of the book's best pieces and become convinced:

Creation Myth from nocoastfilms on Vimeo.


Pick the book up from CSU here or Amazon.com here.

Oh, and if you haven't gotten it--Mathias's Play from The Cupboard is super great. That series is the full-length I want to see next.

No comments: