10.29.2007

Exhibit 4.12

Countdown to GRE Literature Subject Test.

Days left until test: 5
Things I knew about Elizabeth Barrett Browning: 0
Things I know about Elizabeth Barrett Browning: 1 million
Number of authors who if I had been asked when they were alive I would have been off by more than 100 years: 5 (um, sorry, Thomas Gray and others)
William Blake: Dead
Time wasting blog posts: 1
The most shocking date of death: E.M. Forster 1970 (can you imagine him listening to Janis Joplin or watching the moon landing? It just seems wrong. But, if we know anything, it's that wikipedia is never wrong).

2 comments:

Dusty said...

We spent a minute or two of class time in L. White's Modernism class discussing how godforsakenly long Forster lived. I love that he was alive through the Sixties. It's such an improbable anachronism. Forget Janis Joplin, I hope he was fully into Swinging London.

Which was his favorite Beatle? My vote's probably with None, though maybe he thought Paul was pretty.

A. Peterson said...

I like to think he died because The Beatles broke up. He tried to hang on for a few months, maybe even talk himself into their solo careers. Ultimately, the world was too much without them.